Well here we go, we're into November and into the chute leading up to the Holidays. I quite like this time of year but it is busy, busy, busy. This month is also notable in that it's the beginning of our 20th year in business. I opened the shop on November 3rd, 1997. As you can imagine, I've got a few plans for our 20th anniversary at the end of next year and, of course, some special stuff in mind for you all particularly. But, it's nothing I want to talk about yet though I will give you a hint -- I think that there are going to be some book collectors who will be sad in the latter part of next year that they are not sponsors.
All those plans are contingent on getting 300 sponsors next year, but I'm feeling pretty good about that. We've over 650 for this year so far and I don't expect that will drop by more than 50% next year. Just like last year, we'll be opening up pre-payments for existing sponsors sometime in December and then well start charging credit cards and accepting new sponsors on January 1st. I'll have all the details about that in the next sponsor note but you can expect that it will work much the same as it did this year.
If you can make it to the sponsor social next Saturday, November the 12th, please do. This year we're not doing a public anniversary party but I think we'll be whooping it up a bit at the social. We're also going to have two guests from out of town. Chris Roberson has written a huge range of stuff and right now is mostly working on comics. After a stint writing for DC's Superman comic he went on to create iZOMBIE (the TV show based on that comic is now in its third season on The CW). Nowadays he writes Hellboy with Mike Mignola, when he's not writing novels. Also visiting will be Rani Graff. Rani started and runs Graff Publishing, which is the second largest publisher of SF and fantasy in Israel and has introduced more great authors to that country than I can count. Chris and Rani are two of my favorite people in our business and it's going to be great to have them hanging out at the party.
Regarding sponsor socials and the upcoming year, I have a question for you. This year we scheduled the socials to alternate between Thursdays and Saturdays. After talking with some folks, I'm not sure that is a good pattern, but I want to hear from you. Should we keep up that alternation, or should we just have all the socials in 2017 on Saturday evenings?
I think that's it for now. Have a great month and please enjoy your Thanksgiving, whether it be turkey with all the trimmings or Chinese take-out. I've had both and, I've got to say, I sorta prefer the Chinese take-out.
Thank you, as always, for your continued support.
The Yeager Version
1) BOOKED UP Mary Robinette Kowal's Whiskey Tasting will be on Friday, November 11th, at 8 pm. As expected this event filled up very quickly and, at this point, there are no spaces left (along with a full wait-list).
2) Sponsor Social. Our next Sponsor Social (and last one of 2016) will be Saturday, the 12th of November, from 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm. As always, you're welcome to bring a guest, and RSVPs are appreciated but not required. This quarter we'll have tarot readings, wine tasting, and a special guest DJ.
3) We'll be touring the offices of the Long Now Foundation at Fort Mason Center (2 Marina Blvd. Fort Mason Center Bldg. A San Francisco, CA 94123) on Monday, December 12th at 7:00 pm. You're welcome to bring a guest but please RSVP to email@example.com.
4) Bringing in the new year, we'll take a tour of the Speakeasy Brewery on Saturday, January 14th at 2:15 pm. There will be a small charge for the tour and guests are welcome.
5) The first sponsor social of 2017 will be on Saturday, February 11th from 7 pm to 11 pm.
Jude, Scott and I are in the process of setting the sponsor event schedule for 2017 and we've got some fun stuff ahead for you. Likely events are a "Buffy: The Musical" sing-along, a tour of the SF Center for the Book, rollerskating at The Church of Eight Wheels, and much more.