This note is going to be kind of short this month. As I mentioned a few months ago, I've had some personal projects to get taken care of, which are very close to completion but still taking up a fair bit of time. Should be finished by next month, however -- just in time for the holiday season. Another thing that I'm getting close to completion on is the process of getting Borderlands a building before our lease expires in 2021. For good and sufficient reasons, I'm probably not going to be able to go into great detail about that, even when I've got the path worked out, but I hope to have more to tell you next month or the month after. But, things are looking very positive over the long term.
I've also come to the conclusion that either setting up a non-profit or working with an existing non-profit to support the store and, on a larger scale, genre literature in the Bay Area is something that is very much in the cards. The time scale on that is still to be determined but is probably in the one-to- three-year range.
Overall, despite my absence at sponsor events, I've made some pretty big steps on the large-scale questions that have been in front of us this year. It's looking pretty rosy, all in all. Assuming, of course, that we continue to earn the absolutely vital support that you've given us over the past two years. Based on what I've heard from people, we're managing to do that but, if you think we're falling short, please do let me know.
It is still hard to get my mind around how much things have changed for the better at Borderlands because of our sponsors. But everyday, when I walk past the list of all your names on the wall, I'm reminded of what a remarkable thing we've accomplished.
1) Open Mic Night. Join us Friday, October 21st, for the next Sponsors' Open Mic Night.
2) Picnic in Golden Gate Park. October's Sponsor event is enjoying the great outdoors and San Francisco's actual summer time. We have reserved our own section of Golden Gate Park for food and fun on Saturday, October 22nd from noon to 4pm. Look for Table 17 in Lindley Meadow on the South side of JFK Drive. Guests, friends and children are welcome. If you're planning on coming, please let us know at email@example.com
3) World Fantasy Convention. Two events at this years convention in Ohio. A public party Friday night starting at eight and going 'til Midnight and a sponsors-only get together Saturday afternoon from three to five. I don't have the room number yet but I will by Friday afternoon (October 28th). You can email me for that info or just ask me when you see me at the convention.
If you'd like to come to the Saturday event, please RSVP directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Sponsor Social. Our next Sponsor Social (and last one of 2016) will be Saturday, the 12th of November, from 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm.
5) Mary Robinette Kowal's Whiskey Tasting will be on Friday, November 11th, at 8 pm. Space is limited and so please let us know if you'd like to attend by RSVPing to email@example.com. There will be a small fee of $25, payable at the door, to cover costs.
6) We'll be touring the offices of the Long Now Foundation at the Presidio in mid-December.