Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Building Update #9 - WE DID IT!

As of about 60 minutes ago, we had enough funds in the bank to pay for the building.  I cannot tell you how happy and excited I am about this.  It truly is a dream come true.

More than that though -- we've shown our city, our field, and the world what is possible.  A few days ago I was talking with one of our lenders in the office. He thanked me for changing the way that people look at the world and expanding what people believe is possible.  I was surprised and kind of embarrassed by the sentiment.  I'm not some big deal mover-and-shaker; I'm just a guy who likes to sell books.

But then I thought about it a bit and pointed out to him that I didn't do that.  We all did.  My part was suggesting that the world could be different and that something kind of crazy might be possible.  You all, our sponsors and the folks who lent us money and those that supported us in a hundred other ways, too -- you're the people who changed how people can look at the world and you expanded the idea of what is possible.  And I would expect no less from lovers of speculative and fantastic literature.

First, you did it by being sponsors and allowing us to continue to operate.  Then you proved that idea wasn't just a one-shot, flash-in-the-pan but that it was a viable idea for the long term (we have more sponsors this year than last year; the program is growing, not shrinking).  Those things were the basis and foundation that gave me the confidence and hope to try what we just accomplished.

And we did this:  49 lenders in total, $1.9 million dollars, in 18 days.

Thank you all for making a dream come true and showing just how powerful a like-minded, reasonable group of people can be.

Warmest Regards,
Alan

PS  There is one other group that deserves credit for what we've done -- the staff at the Bookstore and Cafe.  They are so good at what they do that I hardly had to think about work for the past 18 days.  Further, they are the people who truly give shape to Borderlands.  I'd just be a lonely guy in a tiny bookshop without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment